Originally posted in 2016. Updated in April 2019.
This post is specifically for dealers who use the Brimfield Flea Finder app to connect with buyers. If you sell in Brimfield but aren't in the directory yet, let's change that. Click here to find out how to be added!
Our app was developed to help YOU and we want to make sure you are getting the most out of your listing and we try to make that as easy as possible! We spend a lot of our time at the show talking to dealers and giving them this information, but as our dealer base grows we can’t spend as much time with all of you so here is some of our best advice on using the app to your advantage:
That being said, there are a few things you can do to make sure you get the most out of your listing:
- Make sure your site number and other info is up to date. Dealers have the ability to log into the website to updated their listing at any time. You can also ask us to do it via email, facebook messenger or through an Instagram DM. If you get us the info we will make the change. Showing shoppers exactly how to find you is exactly what sets our directory apart from any other marketing method. Giving shoppers field and site numbers will only help so much if they don’t understand how the fields are set up. They will also not be going back to look through their social media feeds to find this info when they are walking around the fields. Print advertising has the same limitations.
- Make sure your photos are an accurate depiction of your booth. Your photos in the app listing should grab a user’s attention and accurately depict your booth/merchandise. As much as possible, it’s great to have photos of current merchandise. You never know who is going to see something they just have to have. And thanks to the app, they will know just where to find it or how to contact you! We recommend a combination of some close up shots of key items and at least one wide shot of the booth. GPS will get them within 10-15 feet, but since most fields do not clearly mark site numbers (another reason this app was so needed!), a wide shot can help them identify it easily. You can update your photos as often as you would like by logging into the website. But again, feel free to email/text/message us photos at any time (before or even during the show) and we will update them for you. Easy peasy!
- Update keywords. THIS IS IMPORTANT. In addition to choosing categories of items (such as furniture or mid century modern), listings can contain custom keywords. These can be specific artists (i.e. Erdely), brand names (i.e. Zenith, Griswold), furniture makers (i.e. Eames, Miller), types of furniture (i.e. kitchen island, upholstered), time periods, etc… How general or specific you should get will depend on what type of items you sell, what you think your potential customers will be searching for. But investing five or ten minutes thinking about this can make a big difference. Hundreds of dealers might show up when a shopper searches for furniture, but how many will show up if they search for “desk” or “island” or “chairs.” Shoppers often know exactly what they are there shopping for and you can take advantage of that by getting specific!
Now I’m going to talk about social media for a minute. Whether you are using social media to promote your business or not, you know that you should be. You do not have to be using social media to benefit from being in the app directory. We have many dealers who aren’t. Some who don’t even have smartphones. Our directory still helps shoppers find them. But if you want to get the most out of Brimfield and your partnership with us, social media can help. Here are a few pointers I have come up with over the last five years:
- Tag us in social media posts. We rely heavily on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter to market the app and Brimfield as a whole. There’s no doubt social media is having a big impact on how customers and dealers are connecting and we want to work with you to make the most of it. If you are posting about Brimfield on social media, it’s great to mention that you can be found easily using the app. After spending the last five years serving as an information booth at the show, I can’t stress enough how overwhelmed and confused many people are about how the fields are set up. They don’t know the names of the fields or what side of the road they are on. Keep telling them about the app before and during the show and you will be helping them find you more easily! We can’t share every post we are tagged in but we do share a lot. And social media works best when everyone is connecting in multiple ways. Just putting posts out there is good, but being “social” and networking with others will get you better results. We want our followers to become your followers!
- Post within the Facebook event on our page. We have Facebook events for each show. Posting within that event is a great way to reach a new audience on Facebook. We would also love it if you would share the event on your personal and business pages. Die hard Brimfield fans would never dream of missing a show, but more casual shoppers often forget when the shows are or don’t hear about it until they have already made plans for the weekend. The more people attending the show the better for everyone and these events have the potential to grow exponentially. Each and every person that shares or follows the event means all of their friends are now seeing it too! The event is always the pinned post on our Facebook page.
- If you aren’t using Instagram, start now. Like today. You have probably been told to sign up for Instagram if you aren’t already using it. It’s true. It’s easy to do and it can help your business. Brimfield is the BEST time to grow your following so do it asap. If you need help, let us know! It’s easy to sign up and get started and you owe it to yourself to take advantage of the opportunity. Once you have, let us know so we can follow you! And be sure to update your listing (or have us do it for you).
- Use the right hashtags. You can get a lot of social media traction out of the show. After investing so much time and money being at the show, this is something you should take advantage of. We suggest using #brimfield #brimfieldantiqueshow and #brimfieldfleafinder on all of your posts. If you specialize in anything, you probably know other hashtags that work well for you. If you need help figuring them out, feel free to reach out to us or come by and see us at the show!
- If you are already using Instagram, start using Stories to help promote yourself. We can help! Instagram stories are the easiest way to get us to share your content. They are temporary and more casual. We can’t post 200+ posts a day on Instagram or our feed would be a cluttered mess. But if you tag us in your Brimfield-related stories, Instagram makes it easy for us to add that to our stories. So in one easy step you just multiplied how many people are seeing your content. Work smarter not harder, right?! (Psssst….If I sound like I’m talking gibberish but you are interested, just let me know and I’ll help simplify it for you. That’s what we are here for! Just reach out).
Kaitlin and Ryan
If you’re heading to the Brimfield Antique Show, be sure to download the FREE Brimfield Flea Finder app to help you navigate the show! Get show info, search for specific dealers and items, locate food, bathrooms, ATMs and more!